X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imcoolbeans
    • Sep 2012
    • 3.8.x

Attachment and Photo Thumbnails

Hi there, all of the tumbnails for user attachments and user photo albums are not showing up. I'm not sure why this is happening and was hoping you could help me. In addition, in social groups, the thumbnails aren't being resized properly and the photos are very large, and get cut off. Thanks for the help.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You have not provided enough information. I can only guess that your server is erroring out on this process and the files aren't being created for some reason. Please supply the following information.
    1. Specific vBulletin Version
    2. PHP Version
    3. MySQL Version
    4. Any Addons installed
    5. Does the issue occur in a default style?
    6. Does the issue occur using the English language provided?
    7. Error message on the screen'
    8. Browser and Browser version used.
    9. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• imcoolbeans
      • Sep 2012
      • 3.8.x

I apologize for the late response.

1. vB 3.8.7 patch level 3
      2. PHP version 5.4.22
      3. MySQL version 5.5.37-cil
      4. Multiple addons installed, if you want me to list them specifically I can
      5. This issue occurs on every style, including the default style.
      6. The forum is English-based.
      7. There is no error message. it is simply a link to the photo, displayed as the file name, rather than a thumbnail to click through.
      8. It happens on all browsers, I'm currently using the most up-to-date version of Safari.
      9. There is no list of steps to create the issue, it happens to nearly every upload as I said in my OP.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Have you tried going to Maintenance > General Update Tools and rebuilding the attachment thumbnails?

Are images stored in the database or filesystem?

When did this problem occur - as in, did you move servers? did you just upgrade? What happened just prior to this problem occurring?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• imcoolbeans
          • Sep 2012
          • 3.8.x

We did move servers, and it was an awful move. My site was attached by 3 huge DDoS attacks, and my our old host null routed us and dropped us as customers because the attacks had effect on other sites on their server, and they wouldn't let us even obtain a backup of the site, and told us we were on our own more or less. We finally got a backup, but it was corrupted, and we were able to get the site back up on a new server host off of that broken backup. Ever since then some things have been kind of on the fritz, this being one of them.

I'm not positive that they are in the database, but I'm fairly sure they are, and I think they were in the filesystem before the move. We have an external image resizer, if they're being stored in the database, could that be why this is not working properly? I have tried to rebuild the thumbnails and it failed. It does some of them, and then an error comes up that says the file doesn't exist, but I'm sure the paths are correct, I've checked them 1,000 times.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

You say you think they are in the database, but then you say you are sure the paths are correct which would indicate they are in the filesystem. You can check in admincp > Attachments > Attachment Storage Type - what does it say there?

If your database was corrupted, and the attachments were in there, then you could be missing some.

When you rebuild them, you say some of them do rebuild? Can you then view them?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• imcoolbeans
              • Sep 2012
              • 3.8.x

It says they are in the database.

They all fail. It says: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [path]/includes/class_dm_picture.php on line 514

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Odd. That part of the code looks like it is for saving the thumbnail in the filesystem.

Are photos also stored in the database (User Albums > Album Picture Storage Type)?

Can you upload new attachments?

What are the results of Maintenance > Diagnostics > Upload?

And what is set in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Image Settings > Image Processing Library?

Comment

• imcoolbeans
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 3.8.x

It says "Album pictures are currently being stored in the file system with direct access to thumbnails."

You can upload new attachments, but there will be no thumbnail for it.

The diagnostic test says:
                  Pertinent PHP Settings
                  file_uploads: On
                  open_basedir: None
                  safe_mode: Off
                  upload_tmp_dir: None
                  upload_max_filesize: 50.00 MB

Results:
                  No errors occurred while opening the uploaded file for reading.

The image processing library is set to "GD"

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

So, attachments are stored in the database, but albums are stored in the filesystem? Is the /albums/thumbnails directory chmod recursively to 777?

Comment

• imcoolbeans
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 3.8.x

Yes. Would you recommend doing it differently? The albums/thumbnails directory chmod is 777.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

I guess the next thing I would try is to ask your host to set up a upload_tmp_dir. They need to create one, chmod it to 777, and then enter the path into your php.ini file. You don't have one currently set up and that *may* be causing issues.

Also, I just noticed you are running 3.8.7 and PHP5.4. The only version of the vB3 series that is compatible with PHP5.4 is 3.8.8 and 3.8.9 (3.8.9 is also compatible with PHP5.5). So, you should upgrade and see if that fixes the issue.

Comment