X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j~scoot
    • Jan 2009
    • 3.8.x

Delete/Ban Users: zero posts, same join date as last activity

I just upgraded yesterday from version 3.0.3 to version 3.8 (is that some sort of record?), but in recent months we have had thousands of bots create accounts. To keep the bots that already have accounts from posting any spam, i was wondering if there is a way to delete/ban all users that have zero posts and who's last activity date is the same as their join date.
  • Blue91
    • Apr 2002

Hello.

I currently run 3.03 (about to upgrade to 3.8 this weekend). I've been pruning spambots from my forums for a while. From the admincp, I go to users --> Prune / Move Users. From there you can search for users based on numerous criteria. This might not get all the bots, but it should help get a lot of them since a ton of them end up stuck as "users awaiting email confirmation". When I started getting bad spam registration problems, I turned registration moderation on so for me, pruning is easy... I prune the awaiting confirmation and awaiting moderation categories (after I approve the "real" people).

Hope this helps a little. Now, can I ask about your upgrade? Did it go seamlessly? Just followed the instructions for the upgrade and had no problems? Have you noticed if any changes/hacks you had previously are not working now?

Thanks.
    Fred Bingham
    http://PoMoFoRacing.com
    http://Htownracing.com

Comment

• j~scoot
      • Jan 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for the reply. The upgrade was a smooth yet lengthy process. It didn't actually take that long but by the time i had gone from 3.0.3 through 3.0.16 i realized it was going to upgrade me to every version. I'm new to the whole vbulletin thing so i had a buddy handy in case whole thing blew up, but it went really smoothly. i just followed all of the instructions in vbulletin manual, and let me say 3.0.3 to 3.8 is a MAJOR upgrade. your users are going to love it.

The only mod i had installed was vbgarage, and to be honest it wasn't working to great before the upgrade. after the upgrade it appears to not be working at all, so we lost that. Most of the skins from 3.7.3/4 seem to work in 3.8. Since most everything we had was pretty much stock, i can't offer much help there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...