Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josh-v
    • Mar 2016

Slow page loads

We have a sub-forum where each topic is a private communication thread between a client and a handful of coaches who provide online coaching. When clicking the double arrows to go to the last post of a topic (client training log), there is a significant lag in page load time (10-60 seconds). This has been the case when accessing from many different internet connections so we do not believe it is a connectivity issue on the users' end. Needing to figure out what is causing the really slow page loads as the current membership / usage is only a fraction of what it will be a year from now. Thanks in advance for the help.

forum.reynoldsstrong.com
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

As a guest I don't have permission to see anything. This in itself can cause some issues, I recommend you allow guests to view the HOME and FORUM channels, and then set permissions on each individual category.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• josh-v
      • Mar 2016

Mark, thanks for the reply. The forum had been running for several months with the current setup without speed issues until recent weeks and we do not want the Home and Forum channels to be public to guests. Why would viewing permission settings for guests impact the speed of pageloads?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I logged into your site with the Support account we create for Cloud. I was also able to recreate the issue once. The first-page load took 22.06 seconds using the "Go To Latest" post link. I couldn't see anything suspicious in the Browser diagnostics. However subsequent reloads of the page took 2 seconds. Even after clearing the browser, it took less than 6 seconds after that initial load. This leads me to believe there is a caching issue and I'll have to continue looking at your site to figure out what that is.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• josh-v
          • Mar 2016

Wayne Luke, Thanks for the reply. Any update?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Don't have a cause for why it takes so long. I suspect it is because you have everything locked off for non-registered users which can affect caching. Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to test this.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Some more on your issue.

The first topic load after logging in takes between 8 and 20 seconds. Each subsequent topic load takes 2 seconds or less. Is this what you're seeing?

Are you using the Remember Me option? Do you have anything in the browser that clears cookies or caching?

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• josh-v
                • Mar 2016

Thank you for your responses. No, I'm getting long load times (30-45 seconds) consistently... never 2 seconds or less. I am not using the Remember Me but I'm assuming many moderators (also experiencing slow load times) are because they're most active on the forum. Even with caching completely disabled in browser, still having slow loads.

What specifically do you suggest we change for non-registered users and how do I do that (it has been awhile since we started this and I updated the permissions so I want to make sure I exactly what you're suggesting).

Comment

• josh-v
                  • Mar 2016

I am needing to figure out quickly (this week) if this issue can be fixed as the business using this forum is going to scale quickly beginning on 12/1. If we are not able to get the forum running at a faster speed, we're going to have to do something else before 12/1 (which I REALLY don't want to do) to accommodate the growth.

So I greatly appreciate your efforts in trying to troubleshoot this effectively and as quick as possible.

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
                    • Apr 2015
                    • 5.5.x

Go into your AdminCP -> Channel Management -> Channel Permissions.
                    Find the Forum Channel and edit the permissions for Unregistered/Not Logged In.
                    Enable the permission to Can View Channels. Scroll down and click Save.
                    -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -- Ads available for the modules globally
                    -- Global modules
                    -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment

• josh-v
                      • Mar 2016

Great, thanks. I have done that and we will keep an eye on to see if that improves performance. How long would you estimate for it to take to see improvement if the permissions setting is the source of the issue?

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
                        • Apr 2015
                        • 5.5.x

As there is not an official way to test this, we'll have to play it by ear. I would say give it a couple days and more than that, see what your users/moderators are saying to see if they notice a change.
                        -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                        -- Ads available for the modules globally
                        -- Global modules
                        -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment

• josh-v
                          • Mar 2016

It has been five days now since we made the suggested changes to permissions. There was a 2-3 hour period yesterday morning where the forum was loading much faster (1-3 seconds). But before and since then, it remains extremely slow for all users. There has to be something outside of our settings going on that could cause it to be extremely slow, then much faster, and then back to extremely slow in the same day. Is there any way to check the performance of the server or other factors that could be impacting the page load speed?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

There aren't really tools to track this for cloud. All cloud sites share the same files and have the same basic settings. They all use the same PHP and MySQL versions. All use Memcached for the cache. The kicker is your site is running on multiple virtual machines at the same time. So a page load from User A is loaded from machine 1 and User B is loading pages from machine 2. The next page load, this can switch. The trick is trying to find out what is causing this issue on your site. It doesn't occur on the majority of cloud sites but a couple others have page loading issues. If they were all the same behavior it would be easy to track down. However, your symptoms are different than other sites with slow loading issues. The large majority of cloud sites experience no issues.

We are working to figure out what the problem is. Including cloning the site and running on staging servers where things can be tracked more easily but don't have the same overall traffic. Unfortunately, that causes problems of its own.

When I visit your site, the first topic load is slow. Reloading that topic is quick. This will be per user. Clearing the cache in Memcache will cause the problem to recur. The developers are looking at the issue.
                            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 9 Nov '16, 11:16am.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Do you have the loading time issues with topics that do not have videos embedded within them?

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment