X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdSunder
    • Jun 2016
    • 5.2.x

On private board, users cannot use the reset password link

I'm new to this so maybe there's something I did wrong, but I've configured our site to be private and not allow new registrations. I'm in the process of creating accounts for users and giving them their credentials.

But, when I send out the reset password link they get this e-mail:

Dear [Username],

You have requested to reset your password on [Our forum name] because you have forgotten your password. If you did not request this, please ignore it. It will expire and become useless in 24 hours time.

To reset your password, please visit the following page: http://[Our URL]/reset-password?userid=[userid]&activationid=[activationid]

Your username is: [Username]
    I've replaced the sensitive parts of the information with terms in [brackets] for privacy, but when I click on the actual link in the e-mail, I get a page that says:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
    Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin
    So how do I enable the reset password function to work on a private site. I saw somewhere in another post that you just make your posts visible, but that's not an option for us - it's an internal company discussion group.

Thanks for any help.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This is a known bug:

There is no direct fix available.

What you could try, is instead of denying guest permissions to the entire forum channel, set them to ye on that channel and then deny each individual category below it.
    Not tested but it's worth a try.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• infometid
      • Jun 2016
      • 4.0.x

Hi, the same problem here and sorry but I am a newbie. Searched the forum without finding a solution. We have created a private forum for a community of practice. The reset password does not work properly since it sends back to a page visible only to registered users. Not sure I understood the solution Mark B. proposes. Please give me some hints

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by infometid
        Hi, the same problem here and sorry but I am a newbie. Searched the forum without finding a solution. We have created a private forum for a community of practice. The reset password does not work properly since it sends back to a page visible only to registered users. Not sure I understood the solution Mark B. proposes. Please give me some hints
        He didn't propose a solution. It is a bug in the software that needs to be fixed. If you want it fixed quicker, go to the link above and vote on the issue to raise its priority.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• EdSunder
          • Jun 2016
          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          This is a known bug:

There is no direct fix available.

What you could try, is instead of denying guest permissions to the entire forum channel, set them to ye on that channel and then deny each individual category below it.
          Not tested but it's worth a try.
          Ouch! That seems like a pretty big issue. If I understand what you're suggesting, the public would have access to the list of all of our channels, even if they couldn't view them. That would be unacceptable. The other thing is that if someone creates a new channel, they have to know to deny permissions or else they've just opened up our company's private information to the world. As for voting on the issue to raise its priority, I've done that, but our company was going to spend a month to evaluate vBulletin and if this isn't fixed shortly, we're going to have to move to another solution. Which sucks, because vBulletin does everything else we want.

Comment

• EdSunder
            • Jun 2016
            • 5.2.x

Yeah - I've made the change with the permissions, but users can still see the tag cloud and some other features. A general solution would be a lot better.

Comment

• MichaelGOAT
              • Apr 2009
              • 3.8.x

I just did a password reset for my user account on this site and it worked as expected. My site is also v5.2.2, but password reset are not working. I get the same response as EdSander.
              We applied v5.2.2 update on 6 June/16, but only in the last 2 days have we noticed this issue. The work around proposed is not a viable solution for us. I will just manually reset individual users that request a new password.
              Why does this site's password rest works and other don't is a mystery.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MichaelGOAT
                I just did a password reset for my user account on this site and it worked as expected. My site is also v5.2.2, but password reset are not working. I get the same response as EdSander.
                We applied v5.2.2 update on 6 June/16, but only in the last 2 days have we noticed this issue. The work around proposed is not a viable solution for us. I will just manually reset individual users that request a new password.
                Why does this site's password rest works and other don't is a mystery.
                The password reset on this site works because guests can view the forums.

The current bug is that if you have closed your site entirely to guests, password reset will not work.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment