• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webmastersun
    • Oct 2013
    • 4.2.X

Best Hosting for vbulletin forum?

Hello,

My forum on current hosting is running rather slow, I want to find a new hosting, unlimited features and stronger than current one.

what is your suggestions?

please give me any advice

Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Looking for quality hosts and unlimited hosts are mutually exclusive. Only shady hosts would claim to offer anything "unlimited" since that is impossible. Honest and more reliable hosts lets you know the limits up front.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You would need a VPS with a dedicated 2 Gigabytes Memory and decent CPU allocations for your site at the minimum. Having access to memcached and an SSD OS drive would help as well. Best bet is something that allows you a decent level of burst usage on the CPU per month. A dedicated machine would give you the most flexibility but there are hosts out there with auto-scaling VMs that come close.

With your current host, you can probably speed things up a little using Cloudflare. However since vBulletin is dynamic, it might not amount to much and won't relieve any database related speed issues.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 6 Jun '14, 11:42am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sitefocuz
        • Mar 2014
        • 4.2.X

Cheap oversellers are going to offer more or less same quality. They crowd the server with thousands of sites, promise unlimited resources to each of them and you know they can't be fast. If you want a fast hosting, be prepared to pay well and don't expect unlimited anything. Hosts like URLJet and Nimbus hosting will offer you premium hosting at premium price.
        Hosting Coupons: Mediatemple Discount : 20% off every month and Hostmonster Special Price @ $3.95

Comment

• webmastersun
          • Oct 2013
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You would need a VPS with a dedicated 2 Gigabytes Memory and decent CPU allocations for your site at the minimum. Having access to memcached and an SSD OS drive would help as well. Best bet is something that allows you a decent level of burst usage on the CPU per month. A dedicated machine would give you the most flexibility but there are hosts out there with auto-scaling VMs that come close.

With your current host, you can probably speed things up a little using Cloudflare. However since vBulletin is dynamic, it might not amount to much and won't relieve any database related speed issues.
          Thanks for your ideas, I will consider to update to a VPS soon.
          It's necessary for my site at this time
          Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• Brad Padgett
            • Jul 2014
            • 5.1.x

Yes, you will need a virtual private server. Linux is most likely your calling.

If you are still in the creation of your site, I would start with a small shared plan to do testing and make sure your site is ready to go. Then I would do what Wayne Luke suggests.

You can get shared plans for as low as $1.99 a month with a fair amount of space and bandwidth on the right host. Just remember, you don't need a lot of bandwidth starting out and it's best not to spend your money until you do.

Now what Joe says is right. Be careful of this. This is the reason you should "never" go with an unlimited host.

Truthfully, there is no such thing because once you reach a certain point, they will either shut the service down or require you to upgrade. A server can only handle so much. For instance if you had 10 TB of bandwidth you were using on an unlimited host, if they even allowed you to go that far, I can guarantee once you start getting to this volume of activity they would ask you to upgrade and I doubt they would even let you get to 1 TB.

Plus keep in mind, if you were on a shared host versus vps, there is only so much bandwidth even possible. You might have 500 GB on a shared but once you get on up there, shared plans don't even support a high amount like this. Which is why they advertise shared plans being unlimited. The reason is because they are offering, say 500 GB of bandwidth. That basically what unlimited would be.

Hope that helped you.
            "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• phudu25
              Banned
              • Jul 2014
              • 5.0.X

Visit now Hostgator sale of 75% to buy hosting hostgator with 75% sale off. That is very great.

Comment

• napy8gen
                napy8gen commented
                Editing a comment
                forget hostgator. they are stupid.
            • webmastersun
              • Oct 2013
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud
              Yes, you will need a virtual private server. Linux is most likely your calling.

If you are still in the creation of your site, I would start with a small shared plan to do testing and make sure your site is ready to go. Then I would do what Wayne Luke suggests.

You can get shared plans for as low as $1.99 a month with a fair amount of space and bandwidth on the right host. Just remember, you don't need a lot of bandwidth starting out and it's best not to spend your money until you do.

Now what Joe says is right. Be careful of this. This is the reason you should "never" go with an unlimited host.

Truthfully, there is no such thing because once you reach a certain point, they will either shut the service down or require you to upgrade. A server can only handle so much. For instance if you had 10 TB of bandwidth you were using on an unlimited host, if they even allowed you to go that far, I can guarantee once you start getting to this volume of activity they would ask you to upgrade and I doubt they would even let you get to 1 TB.

Plus keep in mind, if you were on a shared host versus vps, there is only so much bandwidth even possible. You might have 500 GB on a shared but once you get on up there, shared plans don't even support a high amount like this. Which is why they advertise shared plans being unlimited. The reason is because they are offering, say 500 GB of bandwidth. That basically what unlimited would be.

Hope that helped you.
              That's great information

Do you know some names of good VPS hosting providers?
              I have more websites thus I need to host on different hosting (IP address) for SEO purpose and decrease cpu usage for any packages.

Comment

• gnatster
                • Mar 2009
                • 3.8.x

I've been using URLJet for years and find them awesome to work with. They are not the least expensive, however, they do provide incredible service. There is more to having a server than just price.

Check them out at http://www.urljet.com/
                Director of Support - Drive Thru Online

sigpic

Comment

• webmastersun
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by gnatster
                  I've been using URLJet for years and find them awesome to work with. They are not the least expensive, however, they do provide incredible service. There is more to having a server than just price.
                  I checked the site but price for VPS is high for me

Thanks for your recommendation

Comment

• fionix
                    • Jul 2007

Just to follow up, I have been looking for some great Joomla and Vbulletin host for the last 4 years, just for 2 weeks we finally found a hosting company that is going an extra mile for helping you to get your forum up and run stable. We have tried everything from Liquidweb, FirstHosting(one man show, con artist), Site5 (run by 600 studens) to finally have found NimbusHosting.co.uk, they are awesome, migration went through in 5 minutes and they were just helpful, cool.
                    Cyprus Company Formation
                    |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

• webmastersun
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by fionix
                      Just to follow up, I have been looking for some great Joomla and Vbulletin host for the last 4 years, just for 2 weeks we finally found a hosting company that is going an extra mile for helping you to get your forum up and run stable. We have tried everything from Liquidweb, FirstHosting(one man show, con artist), Site5 (run by 600 studens) to finally have found NimbusHosting.co.uk, they are awesome, migration went through in 5 minutes and they were just helpful, cool.
                      I tried to visit NimbusHosting but it even is running slower than my forum

I need a recommendation about VPS or dedicated server, not Share. For shared hosting, it couldn't accommodate my forum traffic now

Comment

• fionix
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by webmastersun
                        I tried to visit NimbusHosting but it even is running slower than my forum

I need a recommendation about VPS or dedicated server, not Share. For shared hosting, it couldn't accommodate my forum traffic now
                        They are slower than your current hosting? May I ask where are you hosted and where are you located?
                        Cyprus Company Formation
                        |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

• JerryBrain
                          • Sep 2015
                          • 5.1.x

What you need is :
                          • PHP version 5.3.7 or greater
                          • MySQL version 5.1.5 or greater
                          • A pre-registered domain name
                          • 1 Gigabyte of hard drive space
                          • Rewrite Engine – A rewrite engine is needed for vBulletin’s Friendly URL routing to work. Popular rewrite engines include mod_rewrite on Apache and “URL Rewrite” for IIS 7 or greater.
                          Latest PHP 5.4.x release
                          • MySQL 5.5 or greater.
                          • cURL or OpenSSL support – Allows secure connections to third-party services like Facebook Connect.
                          • MySQLi support – MySQLi is a more robust software library to connect to the database that vBulletin uses.
                          • Iconv support – A library that provides extra language and character set support.
                          • OpCode Cache – An OpCode Cache like APC or XCache will enhance the performance of your vBulletin software. An OpCode Cache is a caching mechanism that can significantly increase the performance of vBulletin by pre-parsing the PHP files and keeping commonly used data in memory for rapid retrieval.

So a VPS with : 1 CPU, 1024MB MEMORY , 20 GB STORAGE, 2000 GB TRANSFER will do the trick.I'm using those guys https://www.tmdhosting.com/vbulletin-hosting.html for the last 5 years and don't have any problem with approximately 200 visits per day.
                          Last edited by JerryBrain; Wed 30 Sep '15, 6:01am.

Comment

• savyes
                            • Dec 2015
                            • 1.1.x

Hi,
                            For sure any shared hosting will not work for you. Just look for the web host that will help you to host your forum and parallelly they will provide the best resources, like php, database( avoid bottleneck) and etc.

thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...