• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaheen
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.8.x

ServInt recommended ?

Hi,

I would like to know about ServInt ? i am currently hosting on a uk based company but seems their servers are very slow and also getting lot of server gone away errors . i will appreciate your time and reviews and one more question which one is better ServInt or Hostgator VPS ? which one you will choose for yourself? please be honest .no marketing. Thanks

Regards
    Shah

Forum info
    approx 3000+ unique visitors
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

ServInt is by far the superior choice over HostGator. HostGater is a starter, shared host, and even with VPS, I would not recommend anyone to use them. If you want high quality equipment, experience and quality service, I would recommend only two VPS companies, being ServInt for managed VPS hosting and Linode for unmanaged VPS hosting.

Comment

• Shaheen
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.8.x

any more feedback ? how about EUKHost ? which one is better ServINt or EUKHost ?

Comment

• anthonyparsons
        • Mar 2005

EuKHost is a reputable provider, though they are not a comparison to ServInt for what both companies offer. EUKHost offer shared and entry level VPS hosting on standard grade server equipment. The old saying still applies, being, you get what you pay for. If you want average hosting, then you choose an average host. If you want high end equipment, then you choose a provider that supplies such. ServInt are a VPS and Dedicated only provider, they don't get into shared, reseller or low grade server equipment. You are trying to compare an apple to an orange, not a different variety of apple against another apple.

EUKHost from my knowledge, are a decent average host. They are a UK based host, not a US based host. It all comes down to what you need + budget. Budget typically defines what you are going to get, and then you try and get the best you can for the budget you have to work within. If you couldn't afford ServInt or RackSpace, then you wouldn't look at them or use them as a comparison for your hosting.

Use someone like webhosting talk forums to find invaluable feedback on the host you choose, as they are the right place to really ask about hosting.

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
          • Apr 2005
          • 3.8.x

I went from shared hosting to ServInt and I'm loving it.

Support tickets, the few that I've had to submit have all been answered within 15 minutes.

Performance and speed was instantly noticeable. The site loaded faster and we were able to re-activate the shoutbox. A mod, by the way that used to trigger the "cpu quota exceeded" error message on the site locking out our visitors for 10 - 15 minutes at a time.

I would highly recommend ServInt. I can't speak for any other vps as ServInt hasn't given me any reason to go looking anywhere else.

Best of luck with your switch

Comment

• Shaheen
            • Oct 2007
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
            EuKHost is a reputable provider, though they are not a comparison to ServInt for what both companies offer. EUKHost offer shared and entry level VPS hosting on standard grade server equipment. The old saying still applies, being, you get what you pay for. If you want average hosting, then you choose an average host. If you want high end equipment, then you choose a provider that supplies such. ServInt are a VPS and Dedicated only provider, they don't get into shared, reseller or low grade server equipment. You are trying to compare an apple to an orange, not a different variety of apple against another apple.

EUKHost from my knowledge, are a decent average host. They are a UK based host, not a US based host. It all comes down to what you need + budget. Budget typically defines what you are going to get, and then you try and get the best you can for the budget you have to work within. If you couldn't afford ServInt or RackSpace, then you wouldn't look at them or use them as a comparison for your hosting.

Use someone like webhosting talk forums to find invaluable feedback on the host you choose, as they are the right place to really ask about hosting.
            Thanks for your reply , i am currently with EUKhost on their semi dedicated plan but i get lot of Database errors then i have to refresh the page and some time its very slow . So do you think that ServInt is good and i wont get Database errors ?

Originally posted by WhatChaMissin

Support tickets, the few that I've had to submit have all been answered within 15 minutes.

Performance and speed was instantly noticeable. The site loaded faster and we were able to re-activate the shoutbox. A mod, by the way that used to trigger the "cpu quota exceeded" error message on the site locking out our visitors for 10 - 15 minutes at a time.

I would highly recommend ServInt. I can't speak for any other vps as ServInt hasn't given me any reason to go looking anywhere else.

Thanks

Comment

• Abomination
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by WhatChaMissin

Performance and speed was instantly noticeable. The site loaded faster...

Identical results for us as well. In addition the number of database errors has been reduced to (almost) 0. We had thousands on shared hosting occasionally.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Shaheen
                So do you think that ServInt is good and i wont get Database errors ?
                Normally if you have DB errors related to calls or memory, if upon a VPS you can just increase these settings and shouldn't have any issue, as VPS are measured on CPU & RAM allocations, not how big or calls made to a DB. Basically, you can change the settings to achieve what you want within your allocation, if you hit your allocation, you need to upgrade.

I looked at the specs though that are being used, and again, they are average server specs, not high end specs, which ServInt use. If you look at the ServInt basic entry level VPS, there are only eight (8) of those on the one server. Now have a look at the server specs compared to what your specs are, which are hosting six (6) accounts upon at what is supposed to be a higher level off access. Basically, they are stacking too many accounts / allocations upon the specs being offered.

This is often the difference between the average provider compared to the higher end provider. You can't put 6 accounts onto a server, allocate burst, then take a guess at say only two max have the ability to burst at once, thus using all server resources. This is what ServInt, Softlayer, RackSpace, etc... DON'T do. If you have 8 cores with high end XEON, 32GB RAM and you put 8 accounts on it, then you need to have a maximum burst for each account off 1 core each, with defined limits way below that, which is similar to what ServInt do. As you move up from their basic accounts and you get more CPU allocation, then less accounts fit onto each server, ie. the one I have now only has four (4) accounts per server, as the CPU allocation with burst only caters room for 4 containers.

The host your on use SATA drives, compared to ServInt using 15k SCSI in RAID10 config, and the only thing faster is shifting to SSD. You get this high end access speed across all accounts. When you mix the higher end specs, it means you get more from your VPS / software before having to upgrade each time.

There are many good hosts around, ServInt is simply one I came across years ago when having similar issues for many years prior, bouncing from host to host... since being with them, I just don't have issues unless I usually create them myself, and when I have created issues, they fix them for me extremely quickly. If you know what your doing with servers, then Linode is far cheaper, but obviously you must manage your server.

Comment

• Abomination
                  • Jul 2008

I really like ServInt.

Our vb3.8 forum barely gets the loads above 0.2 most of the time with 70 people online, but my members read posts *really* slowly compared to most forums, not much for the server to do really.

If you look at the ServInt basic entry level VPS, there are only eight (8) of those on the one server.
                  That would be for a Super VPS, there are more than 8 on an essential VPS.

SuperVPS

A SuperVPS is one of eight virtual environments (VEs) hosted on an enterprise-class SuperVPS Host Server.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                    • Mar 2005

I believe someone did ring them about this and posted details around here somewhere, and even the essentials run on only an 8 container server, more likely lower specs or they encompass them with Signature & Ultimates. Whatever the number, they don't run very many on a server and never oversell specs for each server. That is the part I like... they don't oversell specs. Every containers maximum figures are used for total server figures, not an average figure.

You could be right, though I know someone did ring and post it onto these forums, and did confirm 8 for all types. I believe it was merely specs that changed for the type being run. Maybe someone in the US can ring them and get a more accurate answer?

Comment

• Abomination
                      • Jul 2008

Whatever the number, they don't run very many on a server and never oversell specs for each server. That is the part I like... they don't oversell specs.
                      I'll go with this.

I'm not sure the rest matters.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                        • Mar 2005

I do agree... but I do like to know these things. Especially nice when they are highly recommended around places like this.

Comment

• noex
                          • Mar 2006

Servint is one of the best: I use them since 3 years

Comment

• viper357
                            • May 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Sorry to bump an old thread, but you guys that are running vb on Servint, did you have to make any changes to the way the server is setup, like config and php.ini etc. or are you just running on the stock standard setup that they give you when you sign up?

Comment

• TonnyF
                              • Jun 2011

That's very old thread.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...