Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeonHartHVA
    • Aug 2003

1and1 hosting?

Anyone have idea about www.1and1..com hosting? (ex: security,...)
    Because I'm hosting at 1and1 and use forum vbulletin.
    Thanks much!
  • Joshs
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by LeonHartHVA
    Thanks much!
    They use their own proprietary control panel. Most people say stay away if you can. I had an account there and after their 3 year free hosting campaign, their servers became overloaded.

Comment

• stylin99
      • Nov 2003

I've been hearing good things about that host, because of the extreme size, they can handle anything. Only problem is when you read the FAQ's you'll find that the mysql database they give you is limited to only 100mb. Most vbulletin boards will go over that. Ours is at about 130mb without the attachments in the db.

The only way around that limitation, is to get a dedicated server starting at $49/mo. I just called today actually.

Comment

• 1and1sucks
        • Jun 2005

Nazi's of the internet

Beware of 1and1.com. They use extortion to renew domain names. Unusual, but true.

If your credit card does not auto-debit, billing sends an email stating that they will freeze your account and turn you renewal fees over to a collection agency for collection.

This is illegal, plain and simple.

If anyone else has had this issue with 1and1.com, please contact me via this board or email me. Perhaps legal action is in order.

Comment

• gumu
          • Jun 2005

I host with 1and1, and have had no problems. i also use forums software through the MySQL db, and works fine. I know the CP is proprietary, but it works for me and I've had all good things...including the $550 free software.

Comment

• Rockboy
            • Apr 2005
            • 3.5.x

I have used 1and1 for more than a year. It is good, and I like how they add new features every month, it seems.

Database--Too small. 100 megs is not very big, especially for vB, which likes to use MySQL space. You can upgrade from shared hosting to a dedicated server, but you have to manually move files, database, domains...its a big headache.

They severely limit the sendmail function, and mass e-mails are hard to send out, if not impossible because of that. It's all in the name of preventing users from spamming the world, they say. It's really stupid.

Another thing...their mailservers are the same for all their customers. How does pop.1and1.com sound to you? How does u-38263846 sound as a mail username? You cannot customize the usernames or the mailservers. In addition, sometimes when you use either smtp or sendmail to send mass e-mails from vB, some may get bounced back, because some ISPs blacklist 1and1s mailservers (because millions of people use the same server, and there are some bad people who user 1and1s servers).

So yeah. Not the greatest host, but certainly not the worst.

Comment

• Rockboy
              • Apr 2005
              • 3.5.x

One more thing...I was sharing an IP with 20,000 other domains, but 1and1 recently gave me my own IP. I like that...

Comment

• jake7338
                • May 2006
                • 3.6.x

1and1 account upgrade, is my db safe???

I need to upgrade from "beginner" to "home" package b/c i realized i do not have the webstatistics program. I cannot see who is visiting my website.

Someone in sales said i would lose my DB if i upgraded! Technical folks say its ok though. I just want to hear from someone else.

Has anyone upgraded their managed package with 1and1 and been ok??

Thankyou!
                --jake

FYI: yes, i am running vB with mySQL

Comment

• ClaytonR
                  • Oct 2004

i host

i host with 1and1 and they are much better then Powweb. But now i have a huge issue. i am getting database errors out the you know what.

Database error in vBulletin 3.5.4:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT MAX(postid) AS postid
                  FROM post AS post
                  WHERE threadid = 407 AND visible = 1
                  LIMIT 1;

MySQL Error : Lost connection to MySQL server during query
                  Error Number : 2013
                  Date : Wednesday, May 31st 2006 @ 04:24:07 PM
                  Script : http://paintsplat.com/forums/showthr...&goto=lastpost
                  Referrer :
                  IP Address : 66.249.65.3
                  Username : Unregistered
                  Classname : vb_database

After 2 calls and many emails they told me to start a new database and kill the old one. So now i have to move my forums and portal over...nice huh??

Comment

• James Kojiro
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by LeonHartHVA
                    Thanks much!
                    Yeah, stay as far away from them as possible.

Originally posted by Rockboy
                    I have used 1and1 for more than a year. It is good, and I like how they add new features every month, it seems.

Database--Too small. 100 megs is not very big, especially for vB, which likes to use MySQL space. You can upgrade from shared hosting to a dedicated server, but you have to manually move files, database, domains...its a big headache.

They severely limit the sendmail function, and mass e-mails are hard to send out, if not impossible because of that. It's all in the name of preventing users from spamming the world, they say. It's really stupid.

Another thing...their mailservers are the same for all their customers. How does pop.1and1.com sound to you? How does u-38263846 sound as a mail username? You cannot customize the usernames or the mailservers. In addition, sometimes when you use either smtp or sendmail to send mass e-mails from vB, some may get bounced back, because some ISPs blacklist 1and1s mailservers (because millions of people use the same server, and there are some bad people who user 1and1s servers).

So yeah. Not the greatest host, but certainly not the worst.
                    I would strongly recommend A Small Orange. Heck, even Eleven2 is better than those jerks, at least they give you support within the same day.

Comment

• encryption
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by jake7338
                      I need to upgrade from "beginner" to "home" package b/c i realized i do not have the webstatistics program. I cannot see who is visiting my website.

I cant believe that in THIS day and age, something as BASIC a feature as this is not offered.
                      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• James Kojiro
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Stay away from 1&1. Unless you like waiting a few days to hear from support and their cookie cutter responses.

Comment

• SirTalksalot
                          • Dec 2005

If you like constant database errors, severe limitations (not only is MySQL only 100mb, only 18 people can connect to it at once). Utterly useless support, either by mail or phone. If you like feeling as important to your host as something they recently blew out their nose. If you like trawling though hundreds of pages to accumilate all the statistics that AWSTATS offer you on a single page. If you like ordering your "free" software only to find out it's shareware that expires after 30 days. Spam filtering features that don't block anything except genuine emails.

The 1and1 is the hosting company for you!

Incidently I am three months into my contract with them, and am cancelling immediately to move to ASO. They are utterly useless, and I'm amazed that they've actually won awards. If you really hate someone, suggest they use this host.
                          - SirTalksalot
                          www.talk-uk.com - Talk UK News, Politics, and current affairs!
                          Ickle Ads - Get your FREE pixel adspace now! No catches, it's just free!

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

We have two dedicated servers from 1&1 and have no complaints.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• James Kojiro
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Well, WebServe is a great colo provider. Just go to http://www.webserve.ca/ for more info. If you ever want great servers or rack space, I'd recommend WebServe. However, if you are Canadian, you'll have to pay GST.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...