Can 2 people have the same IP addresses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ikram
    • Dec 2001

Can 2 people have the same IP addresses?

Ok here is my prob, I have 2 users on my board who always have the same IP address (totally identical) - can this be possible? unless its the same person with 2 user names ofcourse!

Even the host name is identical - if it wasnt for online.php I would have never notice this

Another funny thing is that I have seen both online on the board at the same time on numerous occasions! One of the two is a mod and he also recommended the other to me as being a prospective mod! Im very confused and I want to be sure before I approch them/him and ask whats going on!!!

Pls shed some light and your views on this.. !
  • MarkB
    • Apr 2001

Are they *exactly* the same? IE, all numbers, not just half the address??

Unless they're using an ISP proxy, I would be suspicious... I'd try and resolve the IP to get the full ISP address (ie something1.proxy.isp.com or somesuch).

Sorry for my lack of techo wotsit... terms

Comment

• Ikram
      • Dec 2001

Here is the IP and host name as it is shown when I click the 'view IP' link for both - I have just put 200 instead of 'what it should be' so the person(s) can have some pricacy!

62.200.0.7. The host name is: inktomi4-not.server.ntl.com

Help pls! thanks

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
        • Jun 2000
        • 4.0.x

NTL is a broadband internet provider, and it looks like that IP address is a proxy server that both users are access the boards with. Quite common, and no cause for alarm.

Comment

• Raz Meister
          • Jun 2001

Not relavent, but wasn't inktomi the search engine yahoo used before using google?
          Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Inktomi provides a bunch of different services. Including indexing software that allows caching proxy servers to do their job faster as well as spider technology for search engines.

When you think about it though Spiders are just a form of indexing program.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Re: Can 2 people have the same IP addresses?

Originally posted by Ikram
              Ok here is my prob, I have 2 users on my board who always have the same IP address (totally identical) - can this be possible? unless its the same person with 2 user names ofcourse!
              happens all the time 90% of people use proxies, they are likely using one
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Skeptical
                • Oct 2000

This is what you do -

Have your online.php query for the environmental variable:
                HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR

This is a non-standard variable, but more often than not, legitimate proxies will pass that info to you. They like to do this because abusers love anonymous proxies, and if your server passes this var, it won't be one any longer.

Btw, this variable will tell you the originating IP address that the proxy is forwarding. Now if the guy is using multiple proxies then you'll have to query the originating ip again, until you find the real culprit... or until you come across an "anonymous" proxy.
                Well, there it is.
                - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• JamesUS
                  • Aug 2000

That person is either using NTL's dialup or broadband services here in the UK. They live in Nottingham, England
                  I can't see how the IP's would be exactly the same as well as the hostname though (unless of course they are the same person). Next time they're both online, go to phpMyAdmin and run this query:

SELECT * FROM session;

You'll then be able to see which browser they are using - while it's not definitive it will give you more idea as to whether they are the same person or not. Though if they are using different browsers you still can't rule it out - as they may both be on the same computer.

I am an ex-NTL customer myself.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                    • Oct 2000
                    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by JamesUS
                    That person is either using NTL's dialup or broadband services here in the UK. They live in Nottingham, England
                    I can't see how the IP's would be exactly the same as well as the hostname though (unless of course they are the same person).
                    The NTL hostnames for NTL are as follows:

host127-0-0-1.no-dns-yet.ntli.net

and

pcX-cwmbX-X-custXXX.area.cable.ntl.com

for example All the NTL hostnames are traceable back to the customer in the end by either customer number or IP Address in the hostname.

I havent seen a dialup/cable hostname like inktomi4-not.server.ntl.com upto now and I know a lot of people on ntl

Comment

• JamesUS
                      • Aug 2000

I used to have a hostname just like that one Nicholas, except for a different location bit (not).

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

maybe those two people are in the same household running on a single routed internet connection using NAT. that would explain it.

Comment

• ShAdOwBOaRdEr
                          • Dec 2001

I have a hub making both of my computers use one dsl line and both of the computers have the Same Ip address...so think "Hub"
                          Some ppl have those

Comment

• zsh_xx
                            • Dec 2001

It's possible to have two IP Addresses on the same NIC with VPN

I'm new to these Forums ... Use vBulletin at THIS Website

Comment

• Cheez
                              • Apr 2001

i have 6 comps using the same ip

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...