Does keeping all cookies and history slow you down?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TylerK10
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat Does keeping all cookies and history slow you down?

I've had my MacBook since December and I have visited millions of pages since then. I have Safari set to never erase AutoFill form text, Google searches, saved passwords and usernames, browsing history, cookies, cache, or anything at all. I can still see every single page I have ever visited via the URL bar.

But does this take up space on the MacBook or slow Safari down? Occasionally I am starting to notice when I switch tabs it takes about half a second of lag to display the site in the other tab. And sometimes when I am scrolling it will stop scrolling for half a second and then hiccup to where it should be that half a second later.

It's not a big problem, but if all my saved stuff is the cause of this, I think it's finally time I delete my huge collection and start from scratch. If not, though, I will continue to see how long I can keep my history of webpages I've ever visited.
  • MrNase
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.8.x

My Safari runs better with a freshly cleaned history.
    That's the end of that!

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

I have a habit of deleting all cookies and pages saved offline about once a week. Because you never know what's been added without you knowing from certain sites with pop-ups and pop-unders etc. So I hagve a spring clear-out about once a week or fortnight.

Comment

• Cloud Strife
        • Jun 2002
        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

But what if someone happens to sees all the naughty sites you've been looking at?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

I would suppose it depends on how your browser stores, loads and indexes all that information. I have never deleted cookies or history and haven't really had a problem with it. I do have my browsers set to store no more than 30 days of history though.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

I clear mine every night at midnight, before bed.
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• TylerK10
              • Aug 2006
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
              But what if someone happens to sees all the naughty sites you've been looking at?
              That's what Firefox is for!

I'll leave it how it is for a while longer and if I feel it starts to get worse I'll delete everything. Thanks.

Comment

• Chousho
                • Jan 2004
                • 3.8.x

I hardly ever clear out my cache or cookies and Firefox zips along well enough.

This is also usually while having Eclipse, VLC, Thunderbird, Filezilla, a music player and a few terminals open. How old is your computer?

Comment

• TylerK10
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3.8.x

It's a MacBook about 7 months old.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
                    No, nothing to do with looking at sites like that, I do internet banking etc. so I just like to try and keep spyware installed through IE to a bare minimum. Plus I only have my history set-up to 1 day.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...