X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tailfeathers
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

Laptop car adapter

You know how you can buy a car adapter/charger to charge your cell phone in your car? Is there such a thing for a laptop, so it can be used in the car?

I'll be driving cross-country this summer, and I'd like my partner to be able to do some works he might have to do while I drive. I sure hope this exists!

Thanks.

Edit: Oh, I should mention why I need it charged so frequently. My battery lasts an hours top.
    Last edited by Tailfeathers; Tue 13 Jun '06, 8:22pm.
    Photography :: Bird Information and Help
  • Rolla
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.6.x

they call it an inverter. you can get one for cheap at schucks, checker, cragen auto parts or other sources. it makes AC power and you just plug your laptop wall adapter in and you're good to go. just remember a car socket carries a max power rating of 150W, if you pull more than that it'll blow the fuse and that will be... not fun

edit: here's one: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=END150

150W rated, and that's about a normal price for one.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

I know a dealer locally here that sells all sorts of AC Car Adaptor and batteries for notebooks. I could call them up and see if they have those available on hand for you.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Tailfeathers
        • Jun 2004
        • 3.6.x

Oh wow, so surprised these exist! And the fact that you just plug in the AC adapter in it is great -- I have an Acer, which isn't super common in the US, so I was worried about having to find something specific for Acers.

Is it easy to limit a laptop to 150W? How many Watts does a laptop normally use? (ie would this be enough to run a laptop on or at least keep charging the battery while using it or something?)

ManagerJosh -- if it's sold at car part stores and such and fits any laptop, I think I might just go to one such store around here so you don't have to be bothered. But if it doesn't work out I'll take you up on that offer -- thanks!

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

Well I suppose it doesn't hurt to post the model number of your Acer so I can look and see if they have any available.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Tailfeathers
            • Jun 2004
            • 3.6.x

The Aspire 3000 series: 3002LCi. Thanks.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

I know my Dell Insperion which is several years old requirs 90W to be fully powered.

Comment

• Rolla
                • Jan 2005
                • 3.6.x

yeah most laptops run between 75W - 125W, mine is on the higher end near 125.. but I also have an original athlon in mine (they run hot and eat lots of power)

I don't think any laptops go over 150W unless you have a dellianware or acer ferarri

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...