X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Microsoft leave my damn machine alone!

This is the 5th time it has happened.

Settings: Do not touch my computer, don't update it, don't think about it, don't even breathe.. just be an OS.

Real life: Waking up to Windows downloading security patch and forced reboot.

Accident: NO-happened 5 times this year and I've been there sitting behind it twice. Each time it has updated despite my settings that I want to do this manually, and each time it nags me like a spambot in the face with popups to reboot, and only option is minimize and OK. No option to 'stfu and leave me alone MS'.

This is frustrating and how the hell do they have the nerve to disrespect my settings. I don't care if there's a security that's so important to be patched immediately. It costs me time, work data and whatnot.

What can I do to totally cripple this OS so it won't bother me with that unwanted updates and forced reboots, I've already walked through all the default settings to do everything manually?
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Floris
    This is the 5th time it has happened.

Settings: Do not touch my computer, don't update it, don't think about it, don't even breathe.. just be an OS.

Real life: Waking up to Windows downloading security patch and forced reboot.

Accident: NO-happened 5 times this year and I've been there sitting behind it twice. Each time it has updated despite my settings that I want to do this manually, and each time it nags me like a spambot in the face with popups to reboot, and only option is minimize and OK. No option to 'stfu and leave me alone MS'.

This is frustrating and how the hell do they have the nerve to disrespect my settings. I don't care if there's a security that's so important to be patched immediately. It costs me time, work data and whatnot.

What can I do to totally cripple this OS so it won't bother me with that unwanted updates and forced reboots, I've already walked through all the default settings to do everything manually?
    I'm sure people are going to pounce on me, but why don't you consider Mac OS X? I've been using it for a year now, and am chuffed with it.

I use Mac OS X for everything apart from games, which is the only purpose my PC has.
    Last edited by RichM; Tue 18 Apr '06, 1:46pm.

Comment

• Breaker
      • Jan 2002
      • 3.8.x

My PC at college did this to me and crashed my program..... which at the time was all the code for my computing project, lost about 30 mins worth of solid coding.... go MS
      Unlike most, I don't think I'm always right, if I'm wrong, CORRECT me.... providing you have some evidence

Comment

• eXaulz
        • Jan 2005

RichM... c'mon.

Anyways, Floris, I feel ya pain man. I hate that. It strikes me every 5 minutes to Reboot. And, I can't reboot because I'm either programming or whatever.

Joe?

Comment

• RichM
          • Jan 2003
          • 4.0.x

The reason for it is because in the case of a flaw allowing severe exploitation, they can patch it and minimize the widespread of such damage. Consequently, they'd be reducing the risk of getting bad press as less computers would be affected.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

The best thing to do if it is bothering you, is to set the automatic update to. Download the updates automatically, but let me choose when to install them..

At least this works for me, i have never had to reboot when unwanted.
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

I did basically what Joe described a few months back, it would reboot during the night and any documents I had open were closed. Was a PITA to get them all at the section I was looking at.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• tgillespie
                • Dec 2002
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                The best thing to do if it is bothering you, is to set the automatic update to. Download the updates automatically, but let me choose when to install them..

At least this works for me, i have never had to reboot when unwanted.
                That only lasts so long. After about 5 prompts asking you if you want to reboot, it does it automatically. While I don't think its a huge PITA, it is kind of silly they force your computer to reboot.
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• KW802
                  • Jul 2003

With Automatic Updates turned off, I've never had a machine try to hit the Windows Update site anyway.

Floris: Positive that you've got it turned off? Which flavor of Windows are you running?
                  [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by KW802
                    With Automatic Updates turned off, I've never had a machine try to hit the Windows Update site anyway.

Floris: Positive that you've got it turned off? Which flavor of Windows are you running?
                    Ditto,

I only do manual updates.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by tgillespie
                      That only lasts so long. After about 5 prompts asking you if you want to reboot, it does it automatically. While I don't think its a huge PITA, it is kind of silly they force your computer to reboot.
                      Thats true, i never usually say no more than 3 times. I guess that would get on your nerves after a while..
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by KW802

Yaa with AU's turned off completely, it shouldnt connect to WU at all..
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Mainer82
                          • Apr 2003
                          • 1.1.x

If you really do not want the updates, why not just disable the automatic update service? You will have to turn it back on when you want to run update.microsoft.com though.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Turning off automatic updates won't prevent the WUer from working, only if you stop the service.

Comment

• Luxury
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3.5.x

I believe some program called XP-Spy that helps you turn off a lot of those annoyances including ones that are potentially transmitting private data from your computer to Microsoft.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...