Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurk
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.7.x

Or you can disable it manually by going to run > services.msc and disabling the automatic updates service.
    Let the flames begin.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by RichM
      I'm sure people are going to pounce on me, but why don't you consider Mac OS X? I've been using it for a year now, and am chuffed with it.

I use Mac OS X for everything apart from games, which is the only purpose my PC has.
      I also have a mac, and a linux box, and .. that doesn't mean I can't use a OS I have paid for.

Originally posted by RichM
      The reason for it is because in the case of a flaw allowing severe exploitation, they can patch it and minimize the widespread of such damage. Consequently, they'd be reducing the risk of getting bad press as less computers would be affected.
      Do you want Windows to automatically update? No
      Really? Yes, dont
      really really? .. yes dont!
      ok, let's update.. SIGH

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
      The best thing to do if it is bothering you, is to set the automatic update to. Download the updates automatically, but let me choose when to install them..

At least this works for me, i have never had to reboot when unwanted.
      I have way too many bandwidth tests etc to keep an eye on, I really hate programs to auto start screensavers, updates, virus scan, etc .. So when I tell an OS to not do all that it shouldn't.

Originally posted by KW802
      With Automatic Updates turned off, I've never had a machine try to hit the Windows Update site anyway.

Floris: Positive that you've got it turned off? Which flavor of Windows are you running?
      Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
      Last edited by Floris; Tue 18 Apr '06, 6:34pm. Reason: merged posts

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

There are some registry tweaks you can take a look at here Floris. I hope it helps you out a bit.. ''

MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Mainer82
          • Apr 2003
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          Turning off automatic updates won't prevent the WUer from working, only if you stop the service.
          I did not say turn of WU, I suggested disable the automatic updates service. This will disabling WU altogether.

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

Disabling the automatic updates still allows me to access windowsupdate
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Online-Fraud.com
              • Apr 2006

The same issues have happened with me with Windows XP. It's amazing how little your settings can really make a difference when Microsoft wants to give you the new stuff and restart your computer. I've woken up to the same forced reboot as well.

Comment

• Mainer82
                • Apr 2003
                • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Colin F
                Disabling the automatic updates still allows me to access windowsupdate
                That depends on the version you have installed. The new Microsoft Update requires you to have the service running, but you don't have to have AU set to do anything.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...