• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SaN-DeeP
    • Dec 2003
    • 1.1.x

Vbulletin Front-End Manual - Guide Project

Hello friends,
    We all have been running Vbulletin board since ages, but as a surprise noone thought about this or I missed looking at one FRONT-END Help from vbulletin, lets start a vbulletin Front-End Manual Project helping each / other developing a Help/FAQ System for our board members.
    We will have to list down the basic usage of Vbulletin 3.x Forums in this thread.
    The FAQs listed by me, are help from various members of our board
    Tech-Arena - The TechHouse of India

Note about this thread:
    1. Please do not post thankyou etc. messages in this thread, we do not want to ellongate this thread.
    2. When you post the help/faq about any Vbulletin System, try to post alongwith images, just link the images dont attach then or embed in IMG tags, this will just increase the size of this thread and load time.
    3. Please feel free to post your comments, suggestions, thankyou messages about this system in this thread - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120814
    4. Any other points will be added here
    Last edited by SaN-DeeP; Sat 13 Nov '04, 10:01pm.
    TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review
  • SaN-DeeP
    • Dec 2003
    • 1.1.x

Tutorial On Reputation and Power

1.What is reputation?

Reputation points are the points awarded to you by other members for your good posts.

2.What is power?

Power is the number of points you can award to someone for their posts. That is power is the points,a user will gain in his reputation if you click once on that "I Approve" button.Your power increases on the basis of number of posts,your reputation points, and other factors.

3.How is the "Power" in reputation calculated ?

1. For every 20 number of days, users gain 1 point of power.
    2. For every 10 number of posts, users gain 1 point of power.
    3. For every 25 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of power.

As your reputation increases,your power also increases relatively .So if you get rep from a member who has a power of 200,your power itself increases apart from your rep.(as per the algorithm mentioned above)

4.How can i add reputation to someone? (check attachments)

In every post, against each member information(at the top/left of the post) you can see two boxes.One for profile and other for reputation. Click on the reputation link for the member whom you want to rep. This popups a new window in the top corner of your screen.On this window, you will find a radio button saying "I approve". If you want to award the member then click ok. It is highly recommended that you leave short comments for the member in the space provided, it will be easier for the moderators to judge the usefullness of his/her posts.

5.What are the green images near to reputation and power?

They show your position in TA. As your reputation and power points increase the number of green blocks also increase. If you move your mouse over these green images you can see the reputation titles.

6.Can i decrease the reputation of any member?

As for now, users cannot.Only staff members of TA can remove/alter the reputation points of a member. This will not be done as long as your post does not contain contents which violates the rules of TA.

7.Is there any rules or regulations for this system?

Yes.On TA We have Foll. Rules Setup for Reputations:

1. Allow Users to Hide Their Reputation - No
    2. Default Reputation (@ the time of registration) - 10
    3. how many ratings to display in the user's control panel. - 0
    4. How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? - 5
    5. How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? - 10
    6. How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? - 10
    7. How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? - 15

8.Why am i getting the message " You must spread around some reputation brfore giving it to XYZ" ? (check attachment)

Its because you are violating the last 4 rules(q.no.7) of the system.
    Attached Files
    TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
      • Dec 2003
      • 1.1.x

Private Messaging FAQ's

Q. What is a Private Message?

A. A Private Message(PM) is a feature offered by online discussion boards for enabling members of the forum to send e-mail like messages to each other. These message unlike posts are private and are stored in your inbox.

Q.What is My Inbox?

A. Just like a normal e-mail address, where you have a separate folder to store your e-mail’s in, the board software also provides an Inbox where all incoming mail is stored.

Q. How do I create a Private Message?

A. There are multiple methods or ways of creating a PM:
      • The most simple of these is by clicking on the users “Profile” and then on “Send Private Message To …” as shown in figure. PM1
      • Another way is clicking on the top right corner of the user screen where it says “Private Messages”(See Pm4). Next, scroll down a bit on the page that opens and on the left side in the menu locate the Private Messages tab. Under that, there is the “Send New Message” button, click on it(see Pm5). PM4 PM5
      • The third way is through the “Quick Links” option menu on the navigation bar PM6
      • The fourth way which can be adopted to send to an “online” user shown in the “Who’s Online” list shown at the bottom of the forums homepage (see Pm8). Following by a click on the “Send Private Message To ….” PM8
      • The next method which can be used to send a PM to a user is through Buddy Lists (Link) (Pm10 and Pm11) Check the recipients from your buddy list and scroll down and click on “PM Users”(Pm12). pm10 PM12
      • Replying to a message(Explained later in this document).
      After going through any one of the above methods, we are greeted with a user private message screen as shown below (in two parts Pm2 and Pm3).

The user screen is as follows (Pm2): PM3

There is a textbox for entering the username to whom the message is going to be addressed and sent to. (Please ensure that the exact name of the recipient is entered. It should be in the same form as that the recipient uses on the forum as his/her login ID).
      Multiple users can be sent the same message by adding their username in the “Recipient Username(s)” textbox separated by semicolons. The name of the recipient comes automatically if u follow steps no. 1,4,5,6. Otherwise the username to whom the message has to be sent has to be typed manually. Multiple recipients appear if you use the buddy list according to the usernames checked.

The number of recipients you can send a message to at a single time varies according to user group. The major changes in the number of recipients are as follows:

The big box you can see in the middle of the screen is the message box. Just like an e-mail, you write the text, which you wish to display in this box. Along with the text, you can also have multiple Smilies which can be added by using their corresponding code(eg:- J etc.) or by selecting from the list displayed on your right (Pm7)

Your PM Screen should look as follows (text and emoteicons/smilies used can differ along with recipient name(s).)
      The PM system also allows the user to send the PM with a message icon as shown in the figure (Pm14).

Also, a set of additional features is available which enables you to store a copy of the PM in your “Sent Items”(Link) folder, allows you to attach your signature (link).
      To send the message click on the “Submit Message” Button at the bottom of the screen(Pm16)

The final message can be previewed before sending by clicking on the “Preview Message” button, placed next to the “Submit Message” button.

The PM considered here will be previewed as shown in Pm17.

When you click on “Submit Message”, you will be shown a message box asking you if u wish to get a receipt of the message or not (Pm18).

Once a message is sent, it cannot be edited or deleted before the recipient gets it.

Q. How do I receive a PM?

A. On receiving a new message, you shall be notified with a message box on the next time you open a new page/thread or refresh your page.(Shown in Pm19) PM20

A new message is denoted with text in Bold letters. Click on the new message title and the message will be displayed.

Q. How do I delete messages?

A. Once you open a new message, just below the text, you have a delete this message checkbox (Pm21).
      If the checkbox is checked, the message will be deleted on clicking on the close button. Once deleted, a message cannot be retrieved.

Another way to delete messages is to go the corresponding folder(Inbox by default) and you shall see checkboxes listed to the right of the message headings. Check the checkboxes for those messages, which you wish to delete and scroll down. Once you do this, click on the dropdown list and select delete as shown in Pm22.

Then , click on Go.

Q. What is a Private Message Receipt?

A. Once you send a message (see How do I create a message?), you are asked if you wish to confirm receipt from the receiver. If you click on Yes, you get a status indicator just below the green bar of the limit display in blue text as a hyper-link, which states the number of confirmed and unconfirmed private messages (Pm23).

On clicking on this link, a page loads which looks like follows. (Pm24)
      The number of confirmed and unconfirmed receipts are shown in a similar fashion to the screenshot above.

Note: Though a sender may ask for a read receipt, the receiver may or may not provide a receipt.

Q. What is Tracking a Private Message?

A. Tracking is the same as Private message receipts. It can also be accessed from the Track Messages option in the user menu(Pm25).

Q. How do I see the messages I stored when I checked the option of “Save to sent folder” while sending PM?

A. To see the contents of the sent items folder, click on the “Private Messages” heading in your User control panel/menu. A drop down box will appear. Select “Sent Items” from there as shown in figure. PM26

All the messages you sent with the option “Save To Sent Items folder” are stored here. You can view these messages and can also delete them.

Q. I have my filled my PM limit. What should I do?

A. There are two options in this case. You are allowed to download all your messages to your computer in CSV,XML or TXT format. As shown in figure(Pm27).

After this, you can empty your inbox by deleting messages making space for more messages. You can also download individual messages by checking the checkbox next to the message heading and in the drop down list, select the “Download As CSV/TXT/XML” option.

You can also contact the Administrator for more details on your PM limit. The number of PM's you can store increases with post count and reputation.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
        • Dec 2003
        • 1.1.x

Still lot more to come, if you have some thing made or planning to add a FAQ for vbulletin front-end please add them to this post

Regards,
        Sandy...

Comment

• Andrew111888
          • Mar 2003

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...