Theme optimized for the iPhone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theme optimized for the iPhone?

I know there's already a great theme for mobile devices (Mobile Alabama) and there's one that claims to be an iPhone theme (iPhorum) but I want to design a theme that is optimized for the iPhone.

The site I'd like to model is Nobosh Answers, and their iPhone-specific URL is http://answers.nobosh.com/iphone/

Another great example that actually uses vBulletin is found at the iLounge forums: http://forums.ilounge.com/index.php?styleid=7 - Unfortunately, I've contacted them and they are not willing to share their style.

The key difference between the themes from iLounge and iPhorum is that iLounge is actually designed to work well with the iPhone's finger-pointing UI and formatted to be easily readable on an iPhone without zooming in.

I'm going to tackle this myself and make it available to anyone interested. Anyone have any suggestions before I get started?
    BigBlueBall for everything about instant messaging
    GetGamer to get gamer news, reviews and gear

Just following up .. seems like it's been over 2 months. Any progress on this?

Thanks

Comment

I am not sure what the problem is to be honest. The iPhone has javascript support, and is a full fledged browser, it has a reasonable wide resolution. And it can zoom out and in on content. It should work just fine with vBulletin. I've played with it on my own sites and had no problems using vBulletin.

Comment

I use the iPhone a lot and have not had any problems at all accessing and using vBulletin sites with it. In fact I regularly post on forums from my iPhone. When turned sideways vBulletin forums are perfectly legible without having to zoom in.
        Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

For the most part, the iphone isn't the issue - its how slow the edge data network connection is. A minimal skin would be ideal in this case.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Check out http://www.ziphonesupport.org

Is this something anyone would be interested in? Been working since I posted.

Comment

On a side note, I view these forums on my samsung m610 and they are easy enough to navigate. The only thing that is annoying is the images spacing things out too much, but other then that it works perfect.
              I love lamp

Comment

Anyone have any comments on the link I posted? It's a very edited "Mobi" theme optimized for the iPhone

Comment

Personally it's not something I would use. I'm happy using normal styles on my iPhone and the reduced functionality that comes with the simplicity of the style is something that I personally find restrictive. I'm not a fan of dark styles either. However, if it was nice and light then I would be more open to it as a lightweight alternative. Also, if I was still using the Samsung E770 that I had before my iPhone it would be very good as the functionality on that phone was much less and so the lighter the page loads the better.
                  Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

vBulletin forums are not optimized for iPhone use at all. Big redundant JS libraries. Un-necessary images. Standard text anchors instead of large surface areas to click links. KoSoVaR that link is restricted to guests but by looking at your header, it doesn't look optimized at all. Just by adding some iPhone-style buttons it doesn't make it any easier to use If you want to see a really good iPhone interface for vBulletin go to http://forums.ilounge.com on your iPhone
                    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

KoSoVaR, I tried viewing your homepage tonight but was presented with the biggest no no to users and search engines alike - the dreaded 'You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page'.

Like most users who may encounter this error message, I simply clicked on the top right X at the top of my browser and came back to this site

Do you have the permissions set correctly for your forum???

Comment

The them used in the iLounge forums is good, but the very best one I've seen to date is the one created for elforro.com.

It should autodetect your iPhone and display their custom style, but in case it doesn't, point your iPhone to http://www.elforro.com/index.php?styleid=15

Note that this style won't look right at all on your PC, but looks awesome on an iPhone as you can see here:

I've tried to contact the site owner (he created the style) to see if he'd make a generic version of the style available, but haven't heard back yet.

Comment

Hi!

I just want to let you know that I have decided to release my "iPhone optimized" skin... You can check it out on vBulletin.org: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=171947

Comment

Fantastic! It has a few localization issues (some templates have words hardcoded in Spanish), but it's beautiful on the iPhone. Thanks for releasing this.

Comment

Working...
                            X