vBulletin with Facebook Graph API

Collapse
X
Collapse

• vBulletin with Facebook Graph API

[Updated due to changes in Facebook.]

In 4.0.4, we have expanded the functionality of our integration with Facebook. First, and most importantly, we have stopped using the deprecated Facebook Connect platform, and instead switched over to the new Graph API. This change includes rendering Open Graph metadata on each page, which is used to semantically describe certain content like threads, blog posts and CMS articles. On top of this, we have implemented automatic posting to a user's newsfeed/wall for the following items:
    1. New threads
    2. Thread Replies
    3. Blog Entries
    4. Blog Comments
    5. New CMS Articles
    6. Article Comments

Also, we have added the "Like" button for threads, blog entries and articles.

Now, in case this is your first time setting up Facebook with vBulletin, the following is short guide on how to do so:

FIRST TIME USERS: Setting up Facebook for 4.0.4:
    • Create new application on facebook.com (Required for each vB installation)
      1. Goto: http://www.facebook.com/developers, and login
      2. Click “Set Up New Application” (top-right)
      3. Enter an appropriate name, click “Agree,” and click “Create Application”
      4. On the page that comes up, click Web Site” from the menu on the left
      5. In the “Site URL” input, enter the URL of the forum root for your vB installation. This should be exactly the same as your Forum URL setting in the Admin CP, except with a trailing slash.
      6. Click “Save Changes”
      7. Make a note of the “Application ID,” and “Application Secret,” we will need these later.

• Enable Facebook Connect on your vB installation
      1. Goto your vB site, and login to the admincp
      2. Goto “Settings”->”Options”->”Facebook Options” and click “Edit Settings”
      3. Check “Yes” for “Enable Facebook Connect”
      4. Enter “Application ID” and “Facebook Secret” from the Facebook Developer page
      5. Click “Save”
      6. Facebook should now be enabled and working

Also, to see a demo of the new features, check out the following video:

Transcript:
    Hi, this is Michael Henretty with the vBulletin development team. Today I'm going to talk about the changes we have made to the Facebook Platform in 4.0.4. The biggest change we have made is that we have stopped using Facebook Connect, and instead switched over to the Graph API. But in order to enable this change, you are going to have to configure it in your admincp. In going to show you how to do that right now.

So go ahead and login to your admincp. Click on Settings->Options->Facebook Options. The first thing you'll notice is that there's a new field here called Facebook Application ID. We're going to head over to the Facebook Developer page, click on our application, grab the Application ID, and paste it into that field. The next new field you'll see is Image URL. This is the image that will appear next to any published content in a Facebook user's newsfeed. For this demo, we are going to use the vBulletin logo you see in front of you.

Now that we've configured your installation to use the Graph API, let's see how publishing and the "Like" button are going to work in 4.0.4. So what I'm going to do is enable Publish to Facebook for threads, and the "Like" button for threads. Then I'm going to click save. Now let's head over to the front end and see how it all works.

So go ahead and click on the Facebook connect button, and login. Now we are going to create a new thread. You'll notice at the bottom of the form there is a "Publish to Facebook" checkbox. We are going to go ahead and check this box, and click submit new thread. On the show thread page that pops up, you'll see a "Like" button. We are going to go ahead and click this too. Now let's head over to the Facebook page, and see what this has done to our profile.

You'll notice on my feed it says, "Mike VBulletin just started a thread at Forums," and it will have a link back to that thread. Now if we go to my main profile page, you'll also see that is says "Mike likes this thread," and there will be a link back to it. If you click on that link, you'll see that the thread shows up.

Well, that's all I have for you today. Thank you for watching this video, and I hope you have fun with the new features in 4.0.4. We'll talk to you soon, bye.

• Wynex
      Wynex commented
      Editing a comment
      not working on my site. I'm also running apc and mod pagespeed. Anyone else having an issue with it?

• Jean Boucher
      Jean Boucher commented
      Editing a comment
      How to publish to my Facebook Page NOT my Facebook profile?

• Michael Henretty
      Michael Henretty commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Wynex;bt10877
      not working on my site. I'm also running apc and mod pagespeed. Anyone else having an issue with it?
      Please contact support about this issue. I am not sure what is causing it.
    Posting comments is disabled.