Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martz
    • Apr 2001

Norton Personal Firewall

I've just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2002. and configured it with most of the default settings.

With it running, I'm having problems using the Forums > modify page in the admin cp. When I click on it to list the forums, it seems to be looping on loading something or redirecting to another page. By default, my IE plays a "click" sound effect when I click a link or get redirected. I get about 3-4 a second - and a total of about 100 clicks in a very short space of time as I try and close the application. The end result is that IE locks up and I have to kill it. Its very strange indeed.

With Norton Firewall turned off, it works ok. Is this a cookie or secuirty issue? Norton will accept cookies from the domain my forums are on and is also configured to allow IE to access the Internet and ports etc.

I was very dubious about using a software firewall, but i am concerned about security as I spend long amounts of time conencted to the 'net and IRC, etc.

Anyone had this problem? Hope someone can help! This doesn't happen on any other site I use control panels, frames or forms.

Some other information which may be of some use...?
    O/S: WinXP 5.1 - 2600 + all patches and Windows Updates.
    IE: version: 6.0.200.0000.xpclient.01817-1148
    Norton Personal Firewall 2002: version 4.0
    Norton AntiVirus 2002: 8.00.58
    HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
    -
    Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -
  • The Prohacker
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

I'm sure its a Norton problem, I've had about 150 ICQs about people not being able to access their site now, and after talking to them for 10 minutes I find out Norton is running. I don't know why its blocking some sites and not others, I've been told they can't access some pages but there are no cookies being called or images being loaded.....

I would suggest maybe finding a better firewall... Maybe try ZoneAlarm............

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

IMHO I would steer far far away from Norton Firewall. I have heard nothing but bad things about it. Stick with ZoneAlarm or something similar.

Comment

• Kaizen
        • Aug 2001

Originally posted by tubedogg
        IMHO I would steer far far away from Norton Firewall. I have heard nothing but bad things about it. Stick with ZoneAlarm or something similar.
        Yeap, thats what my experience tells me as well.
        Email: [email protected]
        Site: Under Construction

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Do you have Norton's Ad Blocking software installed as well?

If so turn it off. I use Norton Firewall 2001 on one of my PC's and Zone Alarm on the other and never had a problem with either of them.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Martz
            • Apr 2001

No Ad blocking software afaik, I can't see it in Nortons options and I haven't installed it on its own.

I'll probably drop Norton Firewall in favour of a product I research properly. For the moment the quick disabled menu will do the trick for site updates

Thank you all for your input.
            HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
            -
            Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• orca
              • Mar 2001
              • 5.5.x

Well, I also had troubles with Norton Personal Firewall. Changed to Zonealarm which is way better. I never really knew what Norton did...
              Ueli

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Martz
                No Ad blocking software afaik, I can't see it in Nortons options and I haven't installed it on its own.
                Norton blocks some stuff by default IIRC. Off the top of my head I'm thinking cookies but it may do some other stuff.

Comment