X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmcneese
    • Jun 2001

My Simple Portal v0.1

My Simple Portal v0.1

okay, this is my cobbled together collection of various code bits and whatnot
    that i've consolidated into one nice script. i was looking for something that
    could provide me with a basic 'portal' page, but without the dependencies or
    over-complexity of something like vbportal or nuke2vb (although those are very
    good). i've been working on this for awhile, and i haven't kept track of where
    i got all of the code bits, so if you see your code in there, let me know and i
    will give you credit when i write some *real* documentation for this script.
    the ones i can remember as of this moment are: PluhNews, OPNews, and some bits
    and ideas from tubedogg, wluke and mister.

instructions:

1. edit the portal-config.php file to reflect your preferences, as well as
    all relative paths to your forums. this file is commented, so just follow the
    instructions there.

2. edit the portal.php file. look for <!-- stuff --> tags, in particular.

3. edit the portal.css file to reflect your site's color scheme.

4. upload the files anywhere you wish, so long as your relative paths are
    defined correctly in the portal-config.php file.

5. enjoy!

demo server is down for the moment.

comments, suggestions and flames are welcome.

Joshua McNeese
    Last edited by jmcneese; Sat 8 Sep '01, 7:34am.
  • joecrow
    • Aug 2001

its very nice

Comment

• FreshFroot
      • Jul 2001

Really nice...I love the DHTML nav inside the forums!

Comment

• pipi
        • Jan 2001

i got some problem.

Who's Online
        Can't select database

Comment

• jmcneese
          • Jun 2001

pipi,

do you only get that error with Who's Online? strange if so, since all the functions use the exact same method of database access...

can you give me a URL where you put your portal up?

Comment

• Tweak
            • Aug 2001

Sorry im Confuzed is the portal the MENU on the side?

Comment

• Mega
              • Apr 2001

hmm

Fatal error: Failed opening required './admin/config.php' (include_path='') in /***********/forum/global.php on line 72

Comment

• jmcneese
                • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Tweak
                Sorry im Confuzed is the portal the MENU on the side?
                tweak,

it's a portal in the sense of providing you with a front page that displays interesting information from the forums, as well as pulling information from a specific news forum. if you take a look at the demo site you can see how this can be expanded/extended into a nice front-end to your forums.

it is intended as a simple alternative to vbportal or nuke2vb, both of which may be too feature-rich for some people's requirements.

as far as the 'menu' you mentioned, the only one i am aware of on the demo site is the 'slide-in' menu that is implemented in DHTML. if there is enough of an interest in it, i might clean it up and make a nice installation instruction to show how to integrate it into vb (as it is completely dynamic, in that it builds menus depending on what usergroup the member is).

Comment

• jmcneese
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Mega
                  hmm

Fatal error: Failed opening required './admin/config.php' (include_path='') in /***********/forum/global.php on line 72
                  Mega,

double-check and make sure that your $forumpath and $adminpath variables are correct in portal-config.php. note that they are relative paths, and you shouldn't include a trailing slash.

also, did you put the files in the same directory as vb? if so, i wouldn't advise it.

Comment

• pipi
                    • Jan 2001

error please help
                    Fatal error: Call to undefined function: bbcodeparse2() in /home/faster/public_html/portal.php on line 319

Comment

• snyx
                      • Aug 2000
                      • 3.5.x

That DHTML menu works well man! Good call, I donno what it would be like in NS, but then again, I couldnt care.

Everyone who wants a menu like is, try Dynamic Drive. Here is A version of that menu, I donno if its the exact one, but its close.
                      A cool menu bar that automatically slides open from the left edge of the screen onmouseover.

snyx
                      MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

• Ruth
                        • Apr 2001

(as it is completely dynamic, in that it builds menus depending on what usergroup the member is).
                        jmcneese, could you please explain more how this is done?

thanks

Comment

• BradC
                          • May 2001

I think.. something along the lines as if you are an administrator.. your box might have more links, like to the admin panel, and everything.. the same for the mods... then just for the regular users, it will just have whatever is default.. or.. umm ya. lol

Comment

• Tweak
                            • Aug 2001

Originally posted by jmcneese

tweak,

it's a portal in the sense of providing you with a front page that displays interesting information from the forums, as well as pulling information from a specific news forum. if you take a look at the demo site you can see how this can be expanded/extended into a nice front-end to your forums.

it is intended as a simple alternative to vbportal or nuke2vb, both of which may be too feature-rich for some people's requirements.

as far as the 'menu' you mentioned, the only one i am aware of on the demo site is the 'slide-in' menu that is implemented in DHTML. if there is enough of an interest in it, i might clean it up and make a nice installation instruction to show how to integrate it into vb (as it is completely dynamic, in that it builds menus depending on what usergroup the member is).
                            Thanx Man... LOL i totally missed that cause i just logged in then looked.. LOVE the menu bar thou Looks great

Comment

• dxb
                              • Mar 2001

i have the same problem as Mega and I'm sure of the admin path and I even tried puting the files in the forum directry and it worked but the only things that I can see is the loging table and the forum table and the user online table

but the forum table and is empty and the user online table is empty too

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...