Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jawinn
    • Dec 2005

vB 3.6 Crashing on Godaddy Hosting

I have one of my sites on a shared host at Godaddy. All of a sudden today I can't even get to the home page. I can't get to the admincp. There is no error message in either Firefox or IE. vB is throwing off tons of DB connection errors to my admin email account.

One of the errors I'm getting:

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): Too many connections
    /home/content/j/a/w/jawinna/html/includes/class_core.php on line 271

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Date : Tuesday, September 12th 2006 @ 01:31:39 PM
    Script : http://www.acmeairsoft.com/showthread.php?t=1494
    Referrer : http://www.acmeairsoft.com/
    IP Address : 65.248.178.237
    Username :
    Classname : vb_database

I call godaddy and they say that it's because of vB. They say that b/c vB actually creates 3 to 4 MySql connections I am overloading my site's connection to its db. They came back to me after being on hold and basically told me not to use vB.

Ok, I think this is plain wrong. The reason I think this is wrong is b/c my site's uniques are actually down about 20% over the last month and this just started happening yesterday. I came in this morning and haven't seen any new errors.

Thanks in advance,
    jawinn
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. You can try turning persistent connections off in your config.php:

$config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

If you still have problems after that, there's nothing else that can be done except to talk to GoDaddy again and ask them to raise the limit. If they're not willing to do that you might have to evaluate finding a different host.

Here is more info on that error:

Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• jawinn
      • Dec 2005

Thanks Colin! I'll give this a try. Will changing this setting have any negative effect on my users?

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

No.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• havok usa
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jawinn
          I have one of my sites on a shared host at Godaddy. All of a sudden today I can't even get to the home page. I can't get to the admincp. There is no error message in either Firefox or IE. vB is throwing off tons of DB connection errors to my admin email account.

One of the errors I'm getting:

mysql_connect(): Too many connections
          /home/content/j/a/w/jawinna/html/includes/class_core.php on line 271

MySQL Error :
          Error Number :
          Date : Tuesday, September 12th 2006 @ 01:31:39 PM
          Script : http://www.acmeairsoft.com/showthread.php?t=1494
          Referrer : http://www.acmeairsoft.com/
          IP Address : 65.248.178.237
          Username :
          Classname : vb_database

I call godaddy and they say that it's because of vB. They say that b/c vB actually creates 3 to 4 MySql connections I am overloading my site's connection to its db. They came back to me after being on hold and basically told me not to use vB.

Ok, I think this is plain wrong. The reason I think this is wrong is b/c my site's uniques are actually down about 20% over the last month and this just started happening yesterday. I came in this morning and haven't seen any new errors.

Thanks in advance,
          jawinn

Have you found a solution to this - I'm having the same problem.

here is the error I recieved

mysqli_real_connect() [<a href='function.mysqli-real-connect'>function.mysqli-real-connect</a>]: (00000/1040): Too many connections /home/digitals/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1031

MySQL Error :
          Error Number :
          Date : Monday, October 9th 2006 @ 08:58:30 PM
          Script : http://www.digitalstrife.net/
          Referrer :
          IP Address : 207.44.156.107
          Username :
          Classname : vB_Database_MySQLi

VB told me it was a DOS attack - here is their message:

This is not an 'exploit'. This is a DoS attack (Denial of Service). Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this. DoS attacks can only be fought at the server or router level, and this is the responsibility of your host. Instead of doing this they have decided to take the easy way out and suspend your account.

If you cannot get them to take this seriously, then you should look for another host. Sorry for the bad news.

now I'm completely confused. My host has closed my account and told me to leave. The issue/DOS/? happened two nights in a row.

I ran the ip address on the error message (which I recieved hundreds) and it was to a proxy surfing website. all of the error messages had the same ip address both nights.

Anyone?

Comment

• ForumDog
            • Aug 2006
            • 3.6.x

Hundreds of error messages is likely as not a DOS attack, yes. If the attack was all from one IP address then you could have just blocked that website/IP address though. Closing your account when the entire attack was from one location is is really very poor service. I can only agree with what vB told you.

This is not the same issue as the person who started the thread is having. His is from not having enough connections permitted and/or a few too many users/queries. Yours is from an all-out attack designed to cause your site to far exceed it's allowance by repeatedly accessing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...