Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EasyTarget
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.5.x

I have it set in usergroups to allow the board members to upload their own avatars. This seems to work fine, however when they try to link to their own avatar w/o the upload they get this message:
    Originally posted by vBulletin Message
    Remote file uploads have been disabled.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I've checked the setting and cannot find anything in the default vB that would turn this function off. I suspect it may be a server restriction.

Try this. Reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, Founder of the OptiBoard Discussion Forums for Eyecare Professionals

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• EasyTarget
      • Jan 2005
      • 3.5.x

no, that didn't work. I also get the error message if I try to change anyone's avatar to a linked avatar in the admincp. Users have no problems with attachment uploads or avatar uploads, only linking to them.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

You don't link to avatars, chances are your host has disabled fopen or fsockopen (or oen of those commands with a similiar name) which means vB can't fetch the remote data and put it into the system

Comment

• EasyTarget
          • Jan 2005
          • 3.5.x

by link to avatars I mean this:
          Originally posted by vB User Profile - Edit Avatar
          Enter Avatar URL:
          http://www.
          Are there any other functions which use fopen or fsockopen on the board that I can test this with to see if that's the case?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

The attachment options in 3.5 have a smiliar function now. You could try that.

Comment

• EasyTarget
              • Jan 2005
              • 3.5.x

yup, same error message when trying to link to a remote file upload.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Then its most likely your host has disable these php functions.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

In the Admin CP, click on vBulletin Options and open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.
                  Steve Machol, Founder of the OptiBoard Discussion Forums for Eyecare Professionals

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• EasyTarget
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 3.5.x

www.troc.us/forum

thanks in advance as my host hasn't replied to my inquiry yet.
                    Last edited by EasyTarget; Mon 11 Jul '05, 10:06pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

As Zach surmised, allow_url_fopen is turned off in PHP. In order for this function to work, your host will need to enable this in php.ini.

Comment

• EasyTarget
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 3.5.x

thank you.

Comment

• Joba23
                          • Jan 2005

I also have a problem with this function, uploading files from own computer works fine but link pictures or files from www doesn't work in both avatars and atachments. The fault I get is "Upload of file failed.".

allow_url_fopen is turned on and CHMOD is ok.

Any Ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Joba23, please start a new thread with a link to your phpinfo page.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...