Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erond
    • Feb 2005

Upgrade to 3.5 OK; 2 hours later login problems

I made a backup copy of the database from 3.07, installed 3.5 under a new docroot, updated config.php, restored from the backup into a new database, and ran the 3.5 upgrade.

Everything worked fine.

I came back to the site about 2 hours later, and the login page for both the forum, and for the admincp accept the username and password ("Thank you for logging in..."), but both the automatic and manual page refresh return to the login screen (or the "You may have to register..." link on the forum home).

I've cleared cookies, disabled/enabled javascript, and shutdown and restarted the browser, and have the same problem.

When I first did the ugprade, the cookiepath and domain were set the same as the original board, and I changed those. When I started having problems, I did manual queries to change the values back to default (same as the original board), and still have the same problem.

I also tried with a different admin login, and with a user login, and after restarting the web server. The original 3.07 is still working fine.

FreeBSD 4.7, Apache 2.0.52, and PHP 4.3.10.
  • erond
    • Feb 2005

It seems to be something with the cookie path/domain. I dropped the temporary database, then repeated the steps above, other than cookie changes. Works fine. I changed the cookie path and domain, and it immeidately stopped working.

I changed it based on the statement: The path to which the cookie is saved. If you run more than one forum on the same domain, it will be necessary to set this to the individual directories of the forums. Otherwise, just leave it as / . in admincp.

However, I'm using a subdomain (www.beta.dealagogo.com/beta.dealagogo.com) of the existing site (www.dealagogo.com/dealagogo.com); both are in their own docroot of apache.

Should I just be changing the domain to .beta.dealagogo.com, and will things break if/when I swing the docroot of the original/main site over to the beta directory?

Thanks,

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Try running this script to fix this:

I type in my username and password...it says 'Thank you for Logging In' and it brings me back to the login. ...and every time, it adds an & to the query string (ignore the brackets...the s was stripped when I posted this): non-pro/testvb/admincp/?&&&[s]=b5a4940b657941fe8515e1ca1a4b2d7f
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• erond
        • Feb 2005

I've done some more RTFM and the help screen shows that you can use sub.domain.com and it should act as *.sub.domain.com. There still seems to be a cookie collision between www.dealagogo.com/dealagogo.com and www.beta.dealagogo.com/beta.dealagogo.com.

I'm poking at it some more, but I can at least get back into to admincp to play with it.

Thanks,

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Do you have any compelling reason to use a cookie domain? if not, leave it blank.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• erond
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            Do you have any compelling reason to use a cookie domain? if not, leave it blank.
            Won't there be a conflict with different copies of the forum (3.07 vs 3.5) on the same second-level domain? This actually isn't critical, since the beta is running off a forked copy of the database, but if there were actually two different licensed copies running, wouldn't there be a conflict? e.g. someforum.domain.com vs otherforum.domain.com?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

If you have multiple vBs, use the cookie prefix option in config.php and be sure to use unique prefixes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• erond
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                If you have multiple vBs, use the cookie prefix option in config.php and be sure to use unique prefixes.
                Ah. Much simpler.

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...