Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smestas
    • Nov 2002

mysqldump password options?

Is it possible to get the DB user name, DB name, and password into one line. Its funny because all of the documentation that I see the -p is for password but everyone uses it for the DB name. Im confused? I can do manuall DBdumps via SSH but Im trying to set up a CRON job and it keeps getting hung up on the password part of the line Im giving it to run. Heres a example of what Im trying.

mysqldump --opt -Q -u myusername -p myforumdatabase mypassword> /my/file.sql

Can anyone give me the correct type to insert for a no password asking mysqldump? If I can get that working via SSH then I think I can make it work in my CRON tab manager.

Regards,
  • smestas
    • Nov 2002

Basically I just want to know if you can do a mysqldump without being prompted for the database password by placing it in the original line the first time around?

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

mysqldump --opt -Q -u myusername -pPASSWORDHERE myforumdatabase > /my/file.sql

Comment

• smestas
        • Nov 2002

Thanks Zachery!!!!!!

I was stuck on this for hours.

I actually tried it like that but I had a space between -p MYPASSWORD instead of -pMYPASSWORD like you posted. I never knew it mattered.

Thanks again!!!

Comment

• techtir
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

You might need host option on some providers if SQL server is a different box

mysqldump -h SQLHOSTSERVER -u USERNAMEOFDATABASE -p******** DATABASE > ~/FILEPATHNAME

****** = password of database/user

~ means path to the user's Directory incase mysqldump needs a full path and you don't know where you are!
          FILEPATHNAME If this includes any directories, create them first.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...