Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enclavet
    • Jul 2004

Neglecting price difference, what makes vbulletin better than phpbb

I have a few specific questions about vBulletin. I am doing a project where we have narrowed down the two possibilities for a community network portal. It is either vbulletin or phpbb. While phpbb is free and vbulletin is not, I would like to know a few things about the capability differences between the two products.

I know alot of these questions were probably anwsered by others in the archives but I need an "original" consolidating reply which we can then include in our project proposal.

Is the expandability and customization of VBulletin easier to use then phpbb?

Can VBulletin be expanded upon more so than phpbb?

Are the mailiing list features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more mailing list features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?

Are the discussion forum features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there discussion forum features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?

Are the calendar features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more calendar features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?

Are the adress book features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more adress book features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?

Are the document sharing features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more document sharing features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?

Thanks for your time.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I would like to think so, as by default vbulletin has alot more features both on the user end as well as the Adminstrative point of view.

Again, i think so, the coding is very standardized, and everything in the files is layed out and documented very well.

Ive never used phpbb, at least not recently, so im not sure.

If you havent you should try checking out our admincp demo which will let you test the board and its features and how it works

Comment

• Andy Huang
      • Feb 2004

I'd like to say that I've seen the old phpBB (original) and its coding scared the hell out of me... Messy, unorganized, and well, overall, bad to my standards. I've just purchased vB owned license from someone today, and I must say, vB have GREAT coding style compared to what I saw way back...

undoubtfully, vB is quite a bit more expensive than phpBB, but vB comes standard with A LOT of hacks for phpBB; and vB have a large collection of online template sites, hack sites, etc. I think -- 10 minutes after recieving my confirmation email -- that vB is worth every single cent I've put forth.

Thank you Jelsoft team!
      Best Regards,
      Andy Huang

Comment

• doubleclick
        • Jun 2004

I compared vBulletin to phpBB on only one criteria, which was how well Google saw posts. I entered phrases in "" from both kinds of forums, and VB posts showed up a lot more frequently than phpbb.

Since that's all I compared, that's all I can say. If you don't care about Google, don't read this post.

ooops. Too late. you already read it.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.7.x

Hi Enclavet

I am no expert here on vB.com - but I have used phpBB for nearly 2 years and have recently purchased vB. I am in the process of migrating my fora over to vB303. To me, quite simply there is no comparison between the two products. Also, there are a lot more areas you really should concern yourself with such as customer support, customer service, code release dates, future functionality etc. However, I will do my best to answer your questions here as you request...

Originally posted by Enclavet
          Is the expandability and customization of VBulletin easier to use then phpbb?
          They [phpBB and vB] are both php applications, and as such they can both be expanded on and customised further. However, phpBB does not have anywhere near the functionality that vB has as standard. So, whilst you can do some of the things in phpBB that vB does, you would need to significantly mod/hack phpBB to get anywhere near the same level of sophistication and functionality.

Can VBulletin be expanded upon more so than phpbb?
          Answered above. They are both simply php applications and software programmes. All software can be expanded upon. You ask the wrong question - you need to compare the relative levels of functionality and control that can be acheived with the out-of-the-box application installation.

Are the mailiing list features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?
          What do you mean by mailing list features...? There are usergroups that can allow you to easily identify specifric targeted members etc... but the bestway to do this would be via querying the MySQL database back end. Both phpBB and vB use MySQL. There are more fields/data attributes in the vB database which would tend towards thinking that vB would be far better for querying againstin that you could more readily identify specific data items with there being more of them (if that makes sense).

Are the discussion forum features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?
          Far easier, there are far more of them and quite simply vB is far more advanced. Ther eare more Mod features and controls, and the ACP is streets ahead of phpBB.

Are the calendar features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more calendar features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?
          There are no calendar features in phpBB, period. Calendar features are standard in vB, with a multitude of options. vB wins hands down. You can add calendar features to phpBB but only with extensive hacks.

Are the adress book features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more adress book features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?
          Not sure what you mean here...? There is no address book in either forum application however vB as standard has 'add custom fields' functionality so you can add whatever additional information you require from the ACP without hacks. You can also then determine where this additional information is shown. vB once again wins hands down.

Are the document sharing features of VBulletin easier to use than phpbb?

Are there more document sharing features with using VBulletin than using phpbb?
          Document sharing features...? vB has built in attachment features and functionality wheras phpBB does not. You can determine via usergroups who can use this functionality very easily. This can be done with phpBB but you're then knackered if you need to upgrade as the upgrade scripts do not take into account ANY mods you may have installed. Once again, vB wins. Period.

Finally - don't forget to seriously consider what I mention earlier in this post. In your analysis you simply must consider Customer Service and Support. With phpBB this is almost non existent. During the past 6-10 months the support forums on phpbb.com have gone significantly downhill. They are staffed by inexperienced 'wannabees' who are only interested in warning members, locking threads, banning members, and generally wanting to become or be seen as all powerful. One thing you simply will not get any satisfactory response on is the future of phpBB. If you ask when the next version is coming out, the staff there constantly defer any information to 'sometime later' and will never give you any more than that. if you continue to ask, you will most certainly receive a warning and quite possibly be banned. On the contrary, support on vB is 100% professional. You will receive swift, accurate and relevant information either here on the public forums, or alternatively through the support ticketing system.

Phew.... how's that...? hope the information I include here is what you were looking for and helps you in yor apraisal. I wish you good luck with your client proposal and ig I can help in any way please shout....

Should be an easy decision to choose vB eh...
          John

Comment

• vbuser99
            • Jun 2004
            • 3.6.x

I have been using phpbb for last 2 years.
            You have to install lots of mods on admincp to perform "must have" actions.
            If you are not good keeping track of your mods next install may sweep them away.
            vb has 50 times more admin control over phpbb. and 10 times more features on user interface.
            I feel switching from Camry to a BMW or Mercedes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...